You’ll need a ‘family of a settled person’ visa if you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland and you want to join, for 6 months or more, a partner or family member who’s living in the UK permanently.

You don’t need a ‘family of a settled person’ visa to visit your family for up to 6 months, but you should check if you need a Standard Visitor visa.

Your family member can:

  • Be a British citizen
  • Have settled in the UK
  • Have asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK

If you meet the eligibility requirements, you can apply to:

  • Join your partner (spouse, fiancé(e), civil or unmarried partner)
  • Join your parent
  • Come to look after your child
  • Come to be looked after by family

How long it takes
You should get a decision on your visa within 12 weeks. Check the guide to processing times to find out how long getting a visa might take in your country

You may also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application. Check how much you need to pay before you apply.

Your Situation Fees
Joining your partner or parent £1,464
Coming to look after your child £1,464
Adult who needs to be looked after by a relative £3,250

What you can and can’t do with your visa

You can use your ‘family of a settled person’ visa to:


To apply for a ‘family of a settled person’ visa, you must be from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.

Your partner or family member must have one of the following:

  • British citizenship
  • Settlement in the UK
  • Asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK

You must also prove that:

  • You are 18 or over, unless you’re applying as a child
  • Your relationship to your family member is genuine and recognized in the UK, eg your marriage is legal in your country
  • You intend to continue living with your family member or partner in the UK after you apply (unless you’re a parent who has access to the child)
  • You and your family will have an adequate place to live in the UK
  • You have a good knowledge of English if you’re 18 or over - unless you’re applying as an adult dependent relative.

Your application might be refused if, for example, you’ve:

  • Got a criminal record in the UK or in another country
  • provided false or incomplete information to the Home Office

Read the full guidance on refusals.

Joining your partner

You must prove that you and your partner are 18 or over and in a genuine relationship.

You must be one of the following:

  • Married or civil partners
  • Living together in a relationship for 2 years
  • Engaged to be married or to become civil partners

You must prove that any previous relationships you or your partner had are permanently broken down.

You must also meet the financial requirement of:

  • £18,600 per year if you’re applying only for yourself
  • £22,400 per year for you and one child
  • £2,400 per year for each additional child

Download ‘Appendix FM 1.7: financial requirement’

You won’t need to prove you have this money if you or your partner get certain disability benefits or Carer’s Allowance, but you’ll need to adequately accommodate and support yourselves and any dependants.

You’re engaged

You must prove that you plan to marry or become civil partners within 6 months of arriving in the UK.
If you or your partner has been married or in a civil partnership with someone else before, then you’ll need to provide proof that the relationship has ended when you apply.

This could be:

  • A decree absolute
  • A civil partnership dissolution order
  • Any equivalent document from your country
  • A death certificate – if your previous partner has died
  • You won’t be able to work during your engagement.

Bringing your children
Your children must be under 18.

You must name your children on your application, but you’ll need to apply for them separately.

Joining your parents
You must be under 18 and all of the following must apply:

  • You’ll be living with your parent or parents
  • You’re not married, in a civil partnership or living an independent life
  • You’ll be supported and accommodated adequately without using public funds, or you meet the financial requirement

Coming to be cared for - you’re an adult dependent relative
You must be dependent on a parent, grandchild, brother, sister, son or daughter who is living permanently in the UK.

You must prove that:

  • You need long-term care to do everyday personal and household tasks because of illness, disability or your age
  • The care you need is not available or affordable in the country you live in
  • The person you’ll be joining in the UK will be able to support, accommodate and care for you without claiming public funds for at least 5 years
  • You’re 18 or over

Coming to look after your child

Your child must be under 18, living in the UK, and either a British citizen or settled in the UK.

You must prove that either:

  • You are the only parent of the child and you’re the only person who’s responsible for them (you have ‘sole responsibility’)
  • Your child lives permanently with another parent or carer who’s British or settled in the UK and not your partner, and you want to help raise them (you’ll need to prove you have access to your child in person, either agreed with the other parent or carer, or by a court order)

You must also:

  • Prove you’re taking an active role in the child’s upbringing
  • Be able to support and accommodate yourself without claiming public funds

If you’re the partner of the child’s parent you must apply to join as a partner.

You may need to prove your knowledge of the English language when you apply.

You can prove your knowledge of English by passing a test at an approved test centre. You need to get at least CEFR level A1.
Check the current list of approved tests and test centres. This list changed on 6 April 2015 - tests on previous lists won’t be accepted.

Alternatively, you can give evidence that you have an academic qualification that both:

  • Was taught or researched in English
  • IS recognised by UK NARIC as equivalent to a bachelor’s or master’s degree or PhD

National of a majority English speaking country

You won’t need to prove your knowledge of English if you’re a national of one of these countries:

  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Australia
  • The Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Canada
  • Dominica
  • Grenada
  • Guyana
  • Jamaica
  • New Zealand
  • St Kitts and Nevis
  • St Lucia
  • St Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • US


You won’t need to prove your knowledge of English if:

  • You are age 65 or over
  • You are unable to because of a long-term physical or mental condition
  • You can show there are exceptional circumstances which prevent you from meeting the requirement

You must explain why you can’t prove your knowledge of English in your application and give evidence to support this.

More information

See the document about the English language requirement in the guidance for family members

Documents you need to provide

You’ll need to provide:

  • Your current passport or other valid travel ID
  • Previous Passports
  • Proof of your relationship to the person you’re joining
  • Proof you can meet the financial requirement or maintenance requirement
  • Proof of your knowledge of English if you’re 18 or over - unless you’re applying as an adult dependent relative
  • Your tuberculosis test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test

How soon can I prepare for the test?

It actually depends upon the student's at present level and speed of learning.

How soon can I sit for the test?

We take internal tests every Saturday in order to know the level of student and from these tests We will let student know that how soon they can sit for the exam.

Where do I have to register for the test?

You don't need to go anywhere to register for this test; we will be doing this for you.

Where do I have to go to give the test?

You will be giving this test in closed test centre at Jalandhar or Chandigarh

Which English language test providers you are recognized from?

We are recognized from UKBA/ UKVI approved IDP & BRITISH COUNCIL.

What all is required to have on the test day?

You just require your original passport

How soon can I get result & certificates?

You will get the certificate in 6 to days from the test date.